The eyes have it, or so the say, but the fact remains that as we age the skin around our eyes is one of the first places to show the signs of aging.
Droopy eyes can give your appearance a ‘tired all the time’ look that may not reflect your overall state of health or your positive attitude towards life.
Nothing will age you more than tired, droopy looking features and people may even perceive you to be sad or miserable when in fact you feel perfectly fine!
What Causes Droopy Eyelids?
Muscles around the eyes also slacken as we age and this may cause the fatty tissue that surrounds the eyes to expand and bulge forward. This in turn gives your lower eyelids a ‘baggy’ appearance.
Oxidative stress is another major cause of skin sagging. It often occurs as a result of a poor diet that is too high in processed foods, fat and sugar and lacking in fresh fruits, vegetables and low-fat sources of protein.
The result of a poor diet can show up around the eyes as sagging eyelids, dull pallor and puffy eye bags.
The best way to tackle oxidative stress is to eat a healthy diet that contains a high amount of raw foods that are rich in anti-oxidants.
Give Yourself A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift – Facial Exercises For Droopy Eyelids
Our eyes are such an important feature when it comes to our appearance because they provide a focal point for others when we communicate with them. Unfortunately time and gravity are no friends of the eyes.
It makes sense then that many people want to improve and rejuvenate the skin around the eye area.
Luckily facial exercises can help us to achieve the younger looking appearance we all want so much. Drooping eyelids can be prevented and improved with facial exercises that target the upper eyelids and eyebrows.
The Connection Between Droopy Eyelids And Droopy Eyebrows
Something that can accelerate the appearance of droopy upper eyelids is the fact that as we age, our eyebrows also begin to sag and drop down the face.
Weakened forehead muscles are responsible for the sagging of the eyebrows. Performing facial exercises that use the upper eye muscles can strengthen this area and improve drooping of the eyelids by naturally lifting the eyebrows.
How To Do Facial Exercises
Perform facial exercises either standing or sitting comfortably, keep your shoulders relaxed and try not to create any tension within your body.
Practicing in front of a mirror is a good way to see which muscles you are using and to make sure that you are targeting the correct facial muscle groups.
To Strengthen The Forehead And Lift The Eyebrows
1. Relax your forehead
2. Place your three middle fingers from each hand under each eyebrow with the pads of your fingers lined up along the lower part of the eyebrow
3. Relax the palms of your hands down towards your face – no need to keep them sticking out at an angle
4. Gently push your eyebrows upwards with your three fingertips
5. Push as high as possible and then gently extend the stretch outwards towards the temples, keeping your eyes wide open
6. Hold this position for a count of five
7. Next push down with your forehead muscles to create a resistance with your fingertips and hold for a further count of five
8. Relax and then repeat the exercise 5 – 10 times
To Strengthen The Muscles Of The Eyebrow Area
1. Raise your eyebrows as high as possible
2. Open your eyes as wide as possible and hold for a count of five
3. Slowly lower your eyebrows and relax
4. Repeat 5 – 10 times
To Strengthen And Tone The Delicate Eyelid Area
1. Close your eyes
2. Place the index finger of each hand across each eyelid
3. Keep your elbows lifted and out to the sides of your body
4. Apply gentle pressure with the pads of your index fingers to your eyelids
5. With pressure still applied try to open your eyes to a count of five
6. Repeat 5 – 10 times
The Upper Eyelids
The levator palpebral muscle controls the upper eyelids and targeting this muscle is very important if you wish to prevent and improve the appearance of droopy upper eyelids.
To Strengthen Droopy Upper Eyelids
1. Place your index finger under your eyebrows so you can feel the brow bone
2. Holding firmly slowly close your eyes
3. You should feel a gentle pull from the eyebrow through to the eyelid
4. Now squeeze the eyelids more tightly together to create a stronger pull
5. Hold for a count of five
6. Relax your eyes and repeat 5 times
To Lift The Upper Eyelids
1. Gently place the four fingertips on each hand just below the eyebrows
2. Slowly push up until you can feel the brow bones beneath the pads of your fingers
3. To a count of five gradually move your upper eyelids downwards until your eyes are closed
4. Hold for a count of five then gradually release your lids to a count of three
5. Relax your eyes and then repeat 5 times
Open Up Your Eyes For A More Youthful Appearance
Eye exercises along with a healthy lifestyle, wholesome diet and adequate rest can really help to improve the appearance of the skin around your eyes.
Facial exercises are a simple, effective and inexpensive way to stay in charge of the way your face ages over time.