What Causes Eye Wrinkles?
Eye wrinkles, sometimes known as crow’s feet or laughter lines, are the fine lines that radiate outwards from the corners of your eyes.
They are often the first lines to appear on our face as we age, usually showing up sometime during our 30s.
Over time however these fine wrinkles around the eyes become deeper.
This type of eye wrinkle is known as a ‘dynamic’ wrinkle, meaning that it will become more obviously noticeable when you contract certain muscles of the face.
Eye wrinkles are therefore more apparent when you squint, smile or laugh, hence their more appealing name – laughter lines!
Causes Of Eye Wrinkles Include:
- Squinting – especially in harsh sunlight or when smoking
- Sun exposure
- Sleeping on your face
Who Is Most Likely To Develop Eye Wrinkles?
1. People who work or spend a lot of time outdoors are more prone to crow’s feet. If you fall into this category then it makes sense to apply a high factor sunscreen at all times when outdoors.
2. People with lighter skin tend to get more crow’s feet than people who have darker skin. This is because dark skin contains more natural pigment that protects the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
The Muscles Of The Eye
The orbicularis oculi muscle surrounds the whole eye and it is this muscle that is the underlying cause of eye wrinkles. You use this muscle to wink, narrow your eyes into a frown and to squint.
Squinting is one of the worst things you can do if you want to avoid crow’s feet. When you squint you contract the orbicularis oculi muscle over and over and years of this will lead to the permanent formation of eye wrinkles.
Smokers are particularly prone to squinting, doing so in an attempt to keep smoke out of their eyes. Smoking also ages the facial skin in general so it really is something to avoid if you want to keep your skin looking glowing and youthful.
What Is The Best Eye Wrinkle Treatment?
If you cannot afford cosmetic surgery you may be thinking that all is lost and you are resigned to accepting those stubborn wrinkles round your eyes.
However all is not lost and there are some natural eye wrinkle treatments that you can try for yourself at home.
Eye Wrinkles Home Remedy #1
Egg White – for a temporary skin-tightening effect, you can apply uncooked egg white on to your crow’s feet after thoroughly cleansing your skin.
Don’t use a moisturizing eye cream after cleansing apply egg white on to dried, clean skin.
Leave the egg white on your eye wrinkles for 10 – 15 minutes and then rinse it off with tepid water. After it is completely rinsed away splash the eyes with cool water.
Egg white draws out toxins from the surface of the skin as well as tightening the pores as it cleanses. The skin around your eyes should now feel clean, smooth and firmer.
Eye Wrinkles Home Remedy #2
Vitamin E Capsules – some people have found that Vitamin E supplement capsules that are normally swallowed with water can have a wonderful effect on eye wrinkles if applied directly on to the skin.
You simply pierce one of the capsules and apply the oil inside to the delicate eye area, however it may take a few months before you see any positive results.
Reduce Eye Wrinkles With Facial Exercises
Over time due to external factors like sun exposure, poor diet and pollution our skin becomes damaged as collagen and elastin fibers break down. This leads to slacker skin that is no longer supported by the underlying muscles.
Facial exercises are a powerful, natural tool that can help you to reduce and prevent the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes.
Facial exercises for eyes tend to be subtler or gentler than other facial exercises as the skin in this area is extremely delicate and highly prone to damage and wrinkling if stretched or rubbed too vigorously.
When performing facial exercises for eye wrinkles it’s important to be very gentle especially if the exercise requires that you manipulate the skin with your fingers. Always go easy on this area.
Make sure you are relaxed and comfortable, sitting or standing, when performing facial exercises. Perform them in front of a mirror to make sure you are getting the techniques right and targeting the areas you want improve.
Exercise 1 – Eye Tapping
Eye tapping may help to reduce eye wrinkles and also combat eye puffiness as it stimulates blood flow to the area. Here’s how:
1. With the pads of your finger tips start at the inside corner of the eye near to the nose
2. Tap gently with your finger pads following the natural curve of the under eye area out towards the outer edge of the eyes near the temples
3. Tap back again to the inner corner of the eyes
4. Repeat 5 – 10 times
Exercise 2 – Crow’s Feet Tension Reliever
This simple exercise can help you to reduce tension in the eye area; tension can be a cause of eye wrinkles.
1. With your thumb and index finger gently pinch hold of the skin on either side of each eyebrow
2. Roll the skin between the pads of your finger and thumb easing away any tension in the brow area
Exercise 3 – Eye Wrinkle Pressure Hold
1. Place your index finger from one hand and the middle finger of your other hand on either side of an eye wrinkle
2. Press down applying gentle pressure
3. Hold for a count of 10
4. Repeat 5 times
Exercise 4 – Eye Wrinkle Stretch
1. Gently place your index finger from each hand on to the end of your eyebrows at the outer corners of your eyes
2. Taking care not to overstretch the skin move your fingers upwards providing a gentle stretch
3. Hold for a count of 5
4. Release and repeat 5 times
Exercise 5 – Under Eye Strengthener
This exercise may be a little tricky to get right at first but it is worth persevering with it as it can really strengthen the muscles under the eyes. Strong under-eye muscles are less likely to show signs of aging.
The technique may sound easy but one you have tried it out for yourself you’ll see that this subtle move requires strength, concentration and determination.
1. In front of a mirror lean forwards supporting your body weight on a strong table, basin or dressing table – make sure your support is fully strong and fully secured
2. Look at your eyes in the mirror and then slowly lift your eyelids upwards in a series of tiny movements
3. Start by trying to move the eyelids gradually upwards in 3 movements with the aim of working up to achieve 5 subtle, gradual movements
4. Relax and repeat 3 times
Say Goodbye To Eye Wrinkles And Hello To A Younger Looking You!
Facial exercises really are one of the easiest and least expensive forms of defense when it comes to combating the signs of aging.