Does Your Face Look Puffy?
If you’re face looks puffy, you may be wondering why?
There are many reasons as to why your face can look puffy, some more serious than others, so before trying to treat your facial puffiness with home remedies, it’s important to rule out any cause that may indicate a health problem.
Puffy Face Causes
There are several puffy face causes, but the most common reason for facial puffiness is water retention. If you find that you have a puffy face in the morning only, the reason is quite simple, and there’s no need to worry.
Other causes of a puffy face include:
- Allergies – such as hay fever
- Poor diet – especially diets that are high in salt
- Tooth abscess
- Some medication – especially steroids
If you experience any of the following red flag symptoms along with a puffy face, you should consult your medical practitioner immediately.
- Puffiness that occurs suddenly
- Puffiness that is severe or accompanied with pain
- Facial puffiness that occurs after you have dyed your hair
- Facial puffiness that doesn’t go away or seems to be getting worse
- Fever or facial skin that is red and/or hot
- Difficulty breathing
Natural Remedies For A Puffy Face
If facial puffiness is a recurring problem for you, you may want to try some natural home remedies that will help to target the problem.
There are many natural puffy face remedies you can try at home, that will help to relieve mild facial puffiness.
Quick Fixes For A Puffy Face
1. One of the quickest and easiest ways to reduce puffiness is to apply cold compresses to the face or to wash the face in cool water.
2. Try sleeping on an extra pillow or two at night, to keep your head raised. This can help to reduce a puffy face in the morning.
3. Drink 6 – 8 glasses of pure water each day to flush the toxins that encourage bloating and puffiness, from your system. Don’t worry that you’re adding more water to the water within your body – dehydration is more likely to cause facial puffiness.
4. If you are overweight, take steps to lose the excess weight. Try to achieve a weight that is healthy for your height and frame. Lose weight slowly and sensibly by following a healthy eating plan rather than a crash diet.
5. Reduce salt in your diet and check all the ingredients in any food products you buy; many seemingly innocent foods have a higher salt content than you would imagine.
Breakfast cereals are a common example of this; some breakfast cereals that are considered and marketed as healthy may contain very high levels of salt. The bottom line? Read food labels carefully.
6. Avoid processed foods and foods that contain additives as these can cause your body to hold on to the toxins that may cause puffiness. Many processed foods are also high in salt. Remember that natural is best when it comes to food.
7. Try to eat foods that have a high water content to keep your system clean and flushed through. Fruit and vegetables are high in water, and if you can eat them raw, your skin will reap the benefits.
Cucumber, melons, leafy greens and tomatoes are all high in water; soups and broths made with vegetables also help to up your water intake.
8. Try to exercise daily, a little and often is fine. Being active helps to keep your body healthy whilst also improving the appearance of your skin.
Exercise improves circulation and lymph flow and encourages the body to sweat, which all, in turn, help to reduce facial puffiness.
9. Facial puffiness can be a sign that the digestive system isn’t functioning at an optimal level.
Try drinking herbal teas, such as peppermint and ginger, as these encourage a healthy digestive system.
Used teabags that have been allowed to cool can also help to reduce puffy eyes
10. Experiment with aromatherapy essential oils. The best essential oils for a puffy face are juniper, lemon, fennel and cypress oils.
Dilute these oils in a base oil, such as grapeseed or sweet almond oil, at a ratio of 1 drop essential oil to 1 ml base oil and apply to your face in the evenings as a part of your nighttime skin care regime.
Sleek Facial Contours The Natural Way
If you’re interested in finding out more about natural puffy face remedies, the Naturally Skinsational eBook is packed full of skin care remedies that you can make easily and inexpensively at home.